13 May, 2009

What do they call me?


Yesterday was Lag BaOmer, the thirty-third day that we come across when counting the days between Passover and Shavuot. The most common Lag BaOmer custom here in Israel is to enjoy a bonfire with your friends. Bonfires mean hotdogs and marshmallows, and that's how I came across this package:


Innocent enough, right? Silly caricatures, nice and appealing. Then we look to the other side, find the usual mishaps...

No big deal, right? And then I got to this part, which I suppose, technically, makes sense, but struck me as quite hilarious nonetheless:

Forget about the sirop and the potentially hazardous colorings. Are we not all singing Donovan at this point?

6 comments:

The Renaissance Jew said...

I like carbonydrates. It's a new chemical. cool.

toby said...

I'm glad you caught that - I liked it a lot :)

Bubby said...

It took me a moment to get the Donavan reference--I kept on thinking "Superman and Green Lantern ain't got nothin' on me"...but then I saw the mallow yellow and caught on...so, basically, they got nothing right. And to top it off, there's sodium in the marshmallows! Too funny.

little sheep said...

ingredients only in america? lol

toby said...

Bubby - yes, and it fits really nicely: "yellow mallow yellow" to the tune of "they call me mellow yellow..."

little sheep - yeah, I think that's one of those things that I'd prefer not to understand :)

Dave (Balashon) said...

If you take a look at the origin of the word "marshmallow", it's not surprising that it contains sodium:

http://www.balashon.com/2007/05/marshmallow.html