24 May, 2009

Needed: a drop of passion


Here's one I've had waiting in the wings for a while. There's not much introduction necessary - I just want to remind you all: we've seen in the past that Israeli sign-makers occasionally find it appropriate (and do know how) to use exclamation points, graphics, and scary warnings in order to get their point across. And yet, on this sign that we pass on the way from Jerusalem to Efrat,
apparently none of those was needed:


It always reminds me of that scene in the original Willy Wonka movie, where Mr. Wonka is sarcastically attempting to get Mike Teevee back to safety. He says, expressionlessly, "No. Wait. Stop. Come back." Remember? It was a great scene. But that was a movie - this is a little scary. I mean, it's a landslide, for crying out loud! Shouldn't we all be screaming in fear?

My verdict: this sign needs to care just a bit more. Put a little feeling into it - please?


7 comments:

Dave (Balashon) said...

Reminds me of this Brian Regan clip (ignore the lame pictures):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsQtezF4HWA

Jo Friedman said...

i have never noticed this sign before - so i guess it does need a bit more emphasis

Bubby said...

With the political scene in Israel, what's a little landslide? It's just showing perspective. So the land could slide a little. At least it's still yours!

Adam Ehad said...

Haha, that's an interesting take on things...I never thought of signs as being emotional in that way...

toby said...

Dave - ha!

Jo - see? it's between the two tunnels, coming toward the Gush - see if you can spot it :)

Bubby - you know, you may be right. Maybe this isn't really such a high priority, in the big picture.

Adam - thanks for stopping by - I'm glad you enjoyed!

Maya / מיה said...

This is hilarious!! And I totally know what you mean, too. My personal favorite Israeli signs are the ones that say "Caution: Abyss" (in English). There's just something about the word "abyss."

And I would be honored if you would like to my "monosyllabic Hebrew" post (or any other)! Thanks for asking and checking out my blog! I'm glad I discovered yours!

toby said...

Maya - thanks for stopping by! If you get a photo of that abyss sign, you're welcome to guest post :)