05 March, 2008

A real find at the Malcha Mall in Jerusalem

I'll tell you the truth - the big mall in Malcha is a bit pricey for me, and I try not to go too often. But about a month ago, there was something I had to pick up there, and of course the kids were with me, and of course the Purim costumes had just come out all over, so... I was talked into looking around a toy store for the skeleton costume that my son has been hoping to dress up in this year. They had two different skeletons to choose from, but I managed to talk him out of it for the time being. "Who knows, maybe we'll find something better in the next place, after all, Purim is still a month and a half away," I said, not in the mood to stick around (and likely overpay).

Needless to say, none of the many stores we checked in the following weeks had a skeleton costume. Not one! I was pretty surprised, and I was starting to feel really guilty. If they ran out of stock at the first place, I was going to be in real trouble. So tonight, we went back. Not only was my son's preferred skeleton costume (glow in the dark, naturally) still waiting patiently for him, it was marked half off! A happy ending for all.


But that was only the first lucky strike of the evening. On the way out, we saw this mild-mannered zebra-striped jeep riding mall thing.


Not so impressive, I know, I didn't take it too seriously at the beginning. But since two thirds of my kids had instinctively jumped in, I got closer, and discovered that this was no ordinary riding mall thing. Believe it or not, it dated back to Shakespearian times! Just see for yourself:

Now that was worth the trip.

No comments: